Spiced Lamb Stir-Fry with Spinach
- 3T vegetable oil
- 1.25lbs boneless lamb
- 1 onion
- 1.5t minced garlic
- 0.5 inch minced ginger
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1t cumin
- 1t coriander
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/8t cayenne
- 2/3c water
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1t salt
- 14oz spinach
- 1t garam masala
- Cube the lamb and cook it (in batches, as needed) in a hot wok with 2 T oil. Try to evenly brown the cubes, then set aside.
- Add 1 T oil and stir fry the onion, garlic, and ginger for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spices (perppercorns, cloves, bay leaf, cumin, coriander, crushed cardamom pods, garam masala, and cayenne) and stir fry for 30 - 45 seconds.
- Return lamb to this mix. Add tomatoes, water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over very low heat for 1 hour (stirring occasionally).
- Once lamb is cooked and tender, increase the heat and gradually add the spinach. Cook until spinach wilts and most liquid has evaporated. Stir in the garam masala.
- Serve over rice -- or with naan -- and enjoy!
- Mix cinnamon and nutmeg into warm honey (or syrup). Drizzle over oatmeal/nut mixture and coat evenly.
- Bake (on a sheet in a thin layer) at 300F for 20-35 minutes, stirring perhaps once.
- Add dried fruit and sugar, and allow to cool completely before transferring to storage container / stomach.
One of the meals that started the Quest off, this spiced lamb stir-fry is both nutritious and delicious – quite the combo!
Adapted or sourced from:
- Wok & Stir Fry cookbook, Doeser