Damn Good Bagels
- 1.5c warm water
- 1.5t yeast
- 4c flour
- 2t salt
- 4t molasses
- Boiling water:
- plenty of water
- 2t sugar
- 2t baking soda
- Proof the active dry yeast in the water.
- Mix together the other dough ingredients. Knead until smooth and stiff (if using a stand mixer, we do a few minutes on the lowest speed followed by a few minutes on the second-lowest speed). Let rise for roughly 1 hour.
- Divide into 10 equal pieces, and make into bagel shape. We went with the method of... poke a hole in the middle of a dough sphere, then spin around your finger for a bit.
- Cover and leave on a pan in the fridge overnight to develop extra flavor.
- Boil a generous pot full of water, and add the sugar and baking soda. Boil each bagel for 1 minute, then flip and boil on the other side for 1 minute. As each bagel comes out of the water top with a sprinkle of poppy or sesame seeds, as desired.
- Transfer to a baking pan that has been dusted with cornmeal, then bake at 450F for about 17 minutes.
After moving to the South we were discouraged at the poor quality of bagel we were able to buy, so we decided to make our own. The title says it all: these bagels are great!
Adapted or sourced from: